You are viewing the events as a list. Click here to view as a calendar.
Fri, 5 June, 2020
5:30 pm - 7:45 pm
Saka Dawa is one of the four great holy days of the Tibetan calendar, commemorating Lord Shakyamuni Buddha’s birth, enlightenment and parinirvana. This year we will celebrate with Guru puja (Lama Chopa) in the gompa, lead by Geshe Tsundu. The puja will be live-streamed via pOrtal for anybody who can’t get there so please join us at home if you are unable to attend in person. The text is available for free download from the FPMT store
His Holiness Dalai Lama is conferring Bodhisattva vows online and we will have the ceremony live-streamed in the gompa commencing at 1:30pm. See here for Geshe Tenzin Zopa’s advice on the precious opportunity. Numbers strictly limited by social distancing. Please email the co-ordinator in advance to secure a place.
The merit of any good deeds that you perform during this month is considered to be multiplied many times over, especially on the full moon day 1 — so it is an excellent time to dedicate ourselves to all kinds of spiritually positive actions such as:
- sponsoring or engaging in beneficial pujas, practices, and prayers, including attending the puja at the Centre or following it at home.
- reciting the Sutra Remembering the Three Jewels (recommended by Lama Zopa Rinpoche)
- circumambulating a stupa or other holy place (going around clockwise while repeating mantras)
- making offerings to those in need and especially to nuns and monks.
- taking the Eight Mahayana Precepts
- being especially careful to avoid negative actions that harm sentient beings, as their effects are also magnified!
Lama Zopa Rinpoche’s advice about the most beneficial practices for Saka Dawa is here.
Attending in person: the gompa will be open, up to the number allowable under social distancing requirements. There will be an “overflow area” in another room set up to watch the live-stream together in so hopefully there will be no need to turn anybody away.
Joining online: click the pOrtal button for access. Please register beforehand if you haven’t already. Registration is free and includes access to all our online pujas.
1 Saka Dawa is the auspicious fourth month of the Tibetan Lunar calendar. This year it commences on May 23rd and ends July 21st with the full moon day on 5th June. On that day karmic results are multiplied by one hundred million, as cited by Lama Zopa Rinpoche in the vinaya text Treasure of Quotations and Logic.